Frustrated trying to be portable

Stephen Clamage steve at taumet.com
Thu Feb 21 03:52:42 AEST 1991

richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:

|As far as I can tell, some of the library functions described in the
|standard can be implemented portably ... whereas some others can't....

|A compiler that provided only the non-portably-implementable library
|functions (and headers) might well be very useful in a hosted
|environment.

Why would it be useful?  If you wanted to use the remainder of the
standard functions, you would have to write or acquire source for them,
or hope that their implementation in the binary library supplied with
some other compiler would work.  I fail to see a market for such a
grossly incomplete implementation.

Steve Clamage, TauMetric Corp, steve at taumet.com