Want the word on __STDC__

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Sat Feb 23 06:26:38 AEST 1991

In article <2961 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

| In <1991Feb20.175702.28682 at zoo.toronto.edu> henry at zoo.toronto.edu
| (Henry Spencer) writes:
|
|      ...since many C compilers do not *have* a separate preprocessor.
|
| I may have to eat my words, but after extensive searching, I haven't
| yet found any commercially available C compiler that wasn't accompanied
| by a separately invokable preprocessor.

The Data General AOS/VS C compiler (and the DG/UX MV/Eclipse C
compiler which was the same beast repackaged for unix) had the
preprocessor as part of the tokenizer.  This is from the horse's
mouth, since I wrote the compiler front end, and the preprocessor
never was a separate program.  It started shipping in the 1982 time
frame.

--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?