comment style

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Wed Jan 9 17:24:38 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan9.003543.3087 at watmath.waterloo.edu>
datangua at watmath.waterloo.edu (David Tanguay) writes:
>Then Tufte is wrong, at least in this instance :-) One of the problems I
>have found with C++ code is that I don't see the comments (caveat: I've not
>looked at a lot of C++ code). The // looks like a letter to me (it's almost
>an italic N).

Actually, no smiley face is needed.  Although the brain has special
`hardware' for recognizing lines (and, in particular, horizontal and
vertical lines; diagonals seem to take longer---one can speculate about
animals hidden in tall grasses here), in the sequence

	some stuff with a // comment

the lines are not really large enough to be picked out.  Extending them
to two screen positions will usually suffice:

	some stuff with a // strange and
	somewhat special // comment

provided that these line up properly on your screen (a few seconds of
arc can make a big difference here).

The human visual system is kind of weird.
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris