comment style

Craig Burley burley at geech.ai.mit.edu
Wed Jan 16 04:12:57 AEST 1991

In article <22 at christmas.UUCP> rtm at christmas.UUCP (Richard Minner) writes:

   ...to keep this wonderous thread going (anyone keeping count?) there's
   another really super big advantage of // that I haven't seen mentioned.
   If you want to write a header for a function or file and include
   an example of usage that actually looks like regular code with
   normal comments, you can't do it with /* */ without resorting
   to some pretty ugly guck with #if/#endif.  With // it's trivial.

Yes, I use // in just that way.  The neat thing is, the compiler doesn't
have to support // as a comment delimiter!  (Of course, that means the
example won't QUITE look "like regular code with normal comments"...but
it sure beats using /* without a closing */!)

James Craig Burley, Software Craftsperson    burley at ai.mit.edu