low level optimization

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sat May 4 05:54:30 AEST 1991

In article <May91.054032.5692 at x.co.uk> clive at x.co.uk (Clive D.W. Feather) writes:
>(2) why hasn't Chris Torek (or Doug Gwyn or Henry Spencer or Mark Brader
>or ...) mentioned this before ?

I didn't mention it because frankly I don't think this "obsolescent"
feature can reasonably be changed in some future edition of the standard.
It was listed as an obsolescent feature merely as an acceptable political
compromise that ended the internal debate about possible solutions to the
"aliasing problem".  X3J11 did NOT decide that changing the semantics for
[] parameters would be a correct solution, but we left open the
possibility.  I suspect that X3J11.1 (NCEG) will end up choosing a
different approach, such as unaliased array section syntax.