Standards Update, Recent Standards Activities

Guy Harris guy at auspex.uucp
Wed Jul 4 04:12:00 AEST 1990

From:  guy at auspex.uucp (Guy Harris)

>How about because the semantics of operations permitted on POSIX file
>descriptors are a poor match for many transport providers? Read()/write()
>are stream operations; only TCP is a stream transport provider. OSI TP0/2/4
>maps much more closely to stdio and fgets()/fputs() in that it is
>record-oriented.

Standard I/O, and "fgets()"/"fputs()" in particular, are
record-oriented?  News to me; I thought standard I/O offered byte
streams, and "fgets()" read stuff from that stream until it hit a
newline or EOF, and "fputs" put bytes from a string out onto that
stream.

For that matter, raw magtapes are also record oriented, and "read()" and
"write()" work fine on them.  I don't see the problem with TPn; a single
"write()" could either be turned into one packet, or broken up
arbitrarily into N packets if there's a maximum packet size.  If you
*want* to have a correspondence between "send it" calls and records, I
see no problem with providing additional calls to do that, but I also
don't see any problem with hiding record boundaries, if necessary, from
applications that *want* to just send byte streams over TPn.

>What does it mean to seek() on a network endpoint?

What does it mean to "seek()" on a tty?