Standards Update, Recent Standards Activities

Barry Margolin barmar at Think.COM
Sun Jul 1 16:38:34 AEST 1990

Moderator!:  Delete most of these lines (begin):
Sender: uunet!Think.COM!news
Submitted-From: uunet!Think.COM!barmar (Barry Margolin)
Moderator!:  Delete most of these lines (end).

From:  barmar at Think.COM (Barry Margolin)

In article <387 at usenix.ORG> From: <jsh at usenix.org>
>  The problem being addressed is how to move all printable
>strings out of our programs and into external ``message'' files so
>that we can change program output from, say, English to German by
>changing an environmental variable.

Both examples you supplied were simply ways to look up strings to output in
a database keyed on locale and an internal program string; they differ only
in minor ways.  Does either proposal address any of the *hard* issues?  For
instance, different languages have different pluralization rules; how do
you internationalize a program that automatically pluralizes when necessary
(I hate programs that say things like "1 files deleted")?  Or what about
differing word order; how would you internationalize

	printf("the %s %s", adjective, noun);

so that it would look right in a language where adjectives follow nouns?
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar