Opinions on prospective standards sought

Shane McCarron ahby at uinj.UI.ORG
Tue Apr 30 22:35:14 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: ahby at uinj.UI.ORG (Shane McCarron)

Peter da Silva writes:

> > are portable to a number of platforms (the P1224 approach is to
> > have a layered API which would work on MS-DOS, OSF/Motif, OPEN LOOK,
> > and Presentation Manager).
>
> How about MacOS/Finder, GEM, and Intuition?

I believe that MacOS/Finder was included.  GEM and Intuition were not,
as far as I know.  Could someone else from 1201 address this?

> Does your API require the application to manage its own refresh events,
> or is that stuff hidden far enough in the library that windowing systems
> that handle that sort of thing through backing store won't lose out?

The whole point of a LaFI API is that the policies of the underlying
GUI are hidden from the application developer.  That should all sort
os the autonomic behaviors that windowing systems have (just as the
human body breathes and pumps blood without conscious effort).

--
Shane P. McCarron			ATT:	+1 201 263-8400 x232
Project Manager				UUCP:	s.mccarron at ui.org