Opinions on prospective standards sought

Barry Margolin barmar at think.uucp
Thu Apr 25 08:19:08 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: barmar at think.uucp (Barry Margolin)

I think the SEC's decision was good.  First, for all of the reasons that
others have mentioned.  Second, because I'm not sure that IEEE P1003 is the
appropriate umbrella standards organization for Motif or OpenLook.  ANSI
X3H3.6 is standardizing window systems (X3H3 is the technical committee on
computer graphics) and GUIs (I think Xlib is currently on their agenda).  I
was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that Motif and OpenLook are
intended to be portable beyond just Unix, so it would be inappropriate to
standardize them as part of POSIX.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com