recent history of Unix evolution

Chuck.Phillips Chuck.Phillips at FtCollins.NCR.COM
Mon Feb 11 22:19:07 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: Chuck.Phillips at FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips)

Simon> OSF/1 1.0 was released for general distribution on December 7 1990.

The more important date will be when end users can buy OSF/1 and its
documentation for their machines, IMHO.  The most optimistic rumor I've
heard is third quarter `91 for shipment to end users, and then only for a
few platforms.

Don't get me wrong.  I welcome the competition between USL and OSF.  I'm
confident *both* OSs will benefit as a result.  I wish both camps success.

As a developer of applications that must run on both SVr4 and OSF/1 (when
it ships to end users), I've looked all over for specific information on
the C language interface to OSF/1 in general and system calls in
particular.  The only books I can find on OSF are about Motif, nothing on
the operating system itself.  I'd *like* to take advantage of what OSF/1
offers, but without documentation, this is impossible.  How about sections
1-8 of the man pages for OSF/1?  Where can I buy them?  Telling me it will
be POSIX compliant is only a partial answer.

Disclaimer: Not a spokesman, etc.
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			chuck.phillips%ftcollins.ncr.com