recent history of Unix evolution

Simon Patience sp at gregoire.osf.fr
Thu Feb 14 03:55:39 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: sp at gregoire.osf.fr (Simon Patience)

In article <17837 at cs.utexas.edu>, Chuck.Phillips at FtCollins.NCR.COM
(Chuck.Phillips) writes:
> As a developer of applications that must run on both SVr4 and OSF/1 (when
> it ships to end users), I've looked all over for specific information on
> the C language interface to OSF/1 in general and system calls in
> particular.  The only books I can find on OSF are about Motif, nothing on
> the operating system itself.  I'd *like* to take advantage of what OSF/1
> offers, but without documentation, this is impossible.  How about sections
> 1-8 of the man pages for OSF/1?  Where can I buy them?  Telling me it will
> be POSIX compliant is only a partial answer.

What you want is the Operating System Programming Interfaces Volume of
the AES (Application Environment Specification). This is published by
Prentice Hall ISBN 0-13-043522-8. You should be able to order this from
any reputable bookshop if they don't already have it. It has been available
for some time but I guess it has taken time for the news to leak out.

These are not all the interfaces present in OSF/1 but they are the ones
you should use if you want to write a portable application.

Simon.

  Simon Patience
  Open Software Foundation			Phone: +33-76-63-48-72
  Research Institute				FAX:   +33-76-51-05-32
  2 Avenue De Vignate				Email: sp at gr.osf.org
  38610 Gieres, France				       uunet!gr.osf.org!sp