recent history of Unix evolution

Larry Allen lwa at skeptic.osf.org
Thu Feb 14 06:23:59 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: lwa at skeptic.osf.org (Larry Allen)

Speaking not quite authoritatively, but as a member of the
OSF/1 development team:
Most OSF/1 documentation is available without a
source code license.  The "quick-print copies" -
exactly what we shipped on the tape - can
be purchased right now from OSF-Direct.  Call
617-621-7300 and ask to purchase an OSF/1 documentation set.
Prentice Hall versions of several of the manuals will be
available in several months.  I think OSF-Direct
can probably help with information on the printed
books, or talk to your Prentice-Hall salesman...

I should also mention that the OS AES (the Applications
Environment Specification, which is the application
programming interface recommended for use by portable
applications, guaranteed to be preserved across multiple
releases, etc.) is printed by Prentice Hall and is
currently available in better computer bookstores
everywhere :^)  It's called the

Application Environment Specification
Operating System Programming Interfaces Volume

					-Larry Allen
					 Open Software Foundation