BITFTP

John R. MacMillan john at chance.UUCP
Sat Apr 27 08:21:42 AEST 1991

|For those of you who use BITFTP to get your files to the 3b1:  I'm curious
|about something.  I never really had a problem using BITFTP when I was
|getting mail sent to a machine that was directly connected to UUNET... but
|it seems that when I involve another path with 2 more machines, BITFTP won't
|send the files to me... and BITFTP won't respond to the command HELP either,
|so I had no choice but to post to the net.  Anyone have any ideas as to why
|this is a problem?

It may be that one or more of the sites is dropping BITFTP traffic on
the floor.  Numerous sysadmins I know have had to deal with people
trying to pump large volumes of BITFTP traffic through their sites,
tying up modems and disk space (sometimes long distance as well)
without so much as asking, and so will no longer allow any BITFTP
requests through.

Like many things, the abusers of BITFTP have given it a bad name.