OBM <--> Telebit incompatibility: SUMMARY

Gary S. Trujillo gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us
Mon Feb 11 21:45:17 AEST 1991

In <23207 at netcom.COM> gandrews at netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) writes:

>In article <980 at gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>> [Gary's modem config that doesn't require sending breaks]

>Pretty normal Unix settings...

Right.  Some of the registers get changed in my HDB initialization file
anyway.  From my "Dialers.TB" file:

tb1200    =W-,    "" \MA\pA\pA\pTZ OK ATS111=30S50=2DTW\T CONNECT\s1200 \m\c
tb2400    =W-,    "" \MA\pA\pA\pTZ OK ATS111=30S50=3DTW\T CONNECT\s2400 \m\c
tb9600    =W-,    "" \MA\pA\pA\pTZ OK ATS111=30S50=255DTW\T CONNECT\sFAST \m\c
tbfast    =W-,    "" \MA\pA\pA\pTZ OK ATS111=30S7=58S50=255DTW\T CONNECT\sFAST-\d\d\c-CONNECT\sFAST \m\c
tb9600v32 =W-,    "" \MA\pA\pA\pTZ OK ATS111=30S50=6S93=20S95=2DTW\T CONNECT\s9600 \m\c

> What did you change to eliminate the need for breaks?

I changed the getty. :-)  That's what does it.  Sorry to be so elusive about
it all, but the author wants me to keep track of who it gets sent to, and I
really don't have time to do so.  If someone else wants to take on the project,
I suspect arrangements can be made.  I'm just too busy to write it all up, but
I'd be willing to supply the necessary information to an interested party to
make it possible.

Any takers?

(The basic notion is that when a connection is established, the getty - which
 is not a real getty, but just a front end - reads the speed code from the
 modem, and then invokes the real getty after having done an ioctl, or it calls
 the getty with the speed as an argument - I forget which.  The modem does hang
 once in a great while (~ once a week, maybe), but that might be caused by
 something else entirely.  It's pretty robust, in all.  I spend a lot of time
 poring over descriptions the various schemes that people are using with HDB
 and/or Telebit modems, and then integrated what I learned with the new getty,
 and after some experimentation, and a little hair-pulling, I got it all
 working pretty nicely - and that was months ago.)

    Gary S. Trujillo                            gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst