ALERT! Please read this message!

Mark H. Weber mhw at lock60.UUCP
Sat Feb 9 17:09:12 AEST 1991

In article <982 at gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>In <1201 at galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US
>	(David H. Brierley) writes:
>
>> Please, please, please, would everyone remember not to post any articles to
>> unix-pc.sources anymore...
>
>[ detailed description of problems & reasons for said problems deleted ]
>
> ... If we're having these kinds of problems, there's a bug in the design
> or implementation, as I see it.

Yes, you're right. The unanticipated problem is caused by the aliasing of
an unmoderated group (unix-pc.sources) to a moderated group (comp.sources.3b1).

>Can someone propose a solution to the problem cited by David that avoids
>us abandoning the unix-pc.* newsgroups until we're ready?

One solution would be to change unix-pc.sources to be a moderated group. This
is probably not worth the effort, considering the short lifetime remaining
for the unix-pc groups.

The other option I can see is to change the aliases so that postings to
the old unix-pc.sources go to comp.sys.3b1 rather than comp.sources.3b1.
While this is not a perfect solution, it does eliminate the problem
of the multiple files being sent to dave at galaxia. There probably aren't
going to be too many more postings to unix-pc.sources anyway, and if there
are some, they won't add much to the volume of comp.sys.3b1. This will only
be necessary for the duration of the transition period. I suspect that
Dave would rather scan comp.sys.3b1 for the occasional source posting than
receive 50 copies of them via email.

While we're at it, we can all change our unix-pc.test alias to point to
misc.test, rather than comp.sys.3b1.

So, to summarize, please update your unix-pc aliases as follows:

unix-pc.general		comp.sys.3b1 	(no change)
unix-pc.uucp		comp.sys.3b1 	(no change)
unix-pc.bugs		comp.sys.3b1 	(no change)
unix-pc.sources		comp.sys.3b1    (was comp.sources.3b1)
unix-pc.test		misc.test	(was comp.sys.3b1)

--
Mark H. Weber ( mhw at Schuylkill.Canal.Org )           "Schuylkill" (skool' kill)
 Mont Clare   ( ...!uunet!cbmvax!cgh!lock60!mhw )      is a Dutch word meaning