3b1 tape drive blues

DoN Nichols dnichols at ceilidh.beartrack.com
Sun Feb 24 06:20:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb22.062723.333 at texrex.uucp> rmfowler%texrex at cirr.com writes:

>I just purchased a tape drive and controller for my 3b1.  When
>I run the tape diagnostics, the 3 tests for the controller pass but
>then it says the tape drive isn't ready.  The tape drive is plugged
>in, connected to the board, and a tape is inserted and the retension
>phase seems to work ok.  Latch is closed also(pointing up).

	It won't be ready until retension is complete.

>The green light never comes on.

	The light should come on when the controller has the tape locked in
the drive.  If the light doesn't come on, the drive may not be getting the
control signal from the controller, but it normally isnt' sent that signal
until it says that it is ready.

	One possiblity is that the edge connector on the back of the drive
may be upside down.  (It should be keyed, so that could not happen, but it
also normally doesn't have a ribbon cable going to the computer.)  The cable
from the back of the controller card to the back of the drive housing is
DB-37 at each end, with round cable connecting the two.  If this has been
replaced by ribbon cable, all pins should be connected except the three
closest to the pin-1 end of the DB-37.  Make sure that the ribbon cable has
not been flipped over.  The edge with the stripe (wire 1) should be at the
same end of both connectors.  The run from the DB-37 at the back of the
drive chassis to the drive should have the edge of the cable that is NEAR
the pin-1 end of the DB-37 connected to pin 1 on the drive.  If things are
reversed ANYWHERE, you won't have proper communications with your drive.
(of course, TWO reversals could work out right, if you are lucky.

>Since the controller seems to be ok, does anybody know where I can
>check for problems in the drive.  I already made sure the ribbon
>cable was connected ok.  I noticed there were some jumpers in there too.
>However, these should be ok since this tape drive was on a unix-pc
>before I bought it.

	Did you get everything in a single purchase?  (Tape drive, housing,
cable, controller, etc?)

>I believe someone mentioned in the past that the controller was the
>expensive/difficult to find item.  How much does the AT&T drive cost?
>Could I buy a cheaper similar one?

	The hamfest season is getting started (at least here in the
Washington D.C. area, Vienna VA has its "Winterfest" tomorrow, Sunday the
24th).  Hamfests are good places to look for something like this.  I have
picked up several similar drives for very little money in the past year.
What I need is more controllers. :-)

>I tried booting and accessing the tape drive but I get the errors
>still.  I loaded the driver but this is moot since it gives the error
>when running the diagnostic diskette.
>
>Any help? I have the worst freakin luck with this machine.

	You don't give any idea of your physical location.  If you are
nearby, maybe we can get together and test the parts against my system.

>Thanks

	You're welcome.
		DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564