premature dropping of unix-pc.*

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Sat Feb 16 01:21:12 AEST 1991

In article <987 at gnosys.svle.ma.us>, gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us
(Gary S. Trujillo) writes:

> Some of us are in
> the position of getting only a partial news feed, and having to negotiate
> with a busy system administrator at a net-neighbor site in order to pick up
> the feed of the new comp.*.3b1 newsgroups.
> . . . I'm sure I've missed quite a bit of traffic in the process.
>
> If people stop cross-posting to those groups,
> the whole scheme falls apart.

Evidently, that was happening even at hico2, where I pay real bucks
to get remote feeds.  Not every administrator has been swift to
add the new groups to the distribution, and I think even some
who wanted these changes were under the impression that our problems
would be "fixed".  Others put all unix-pc.test groups in their "alias"
file (what happens when you have one half of a dual-posted article
aliased to the other half?)

In reality, I think we won't get proper distribution of comp.sys.3b1
and comp.sources.3b1 until:

	1. we kick and scream
	2. we figure out where the stoppages are
	3. we get a couple more "create group" messages sent around
	4. we get our groups into the regular "checkgroup" message

> So - I make an appeal:  Please continue to cross-post to unix-pc.general and
> unix-pc.sources (I don't care so much about unix-pc.uucp and unix-pc.test)
> at least until the end of April.

NO NO NO NO don't crosspost to unix-pc.sources - we already had that
problem.  [ --- but it was such a LITTLE articles.  *sigh* ]
I suspect that the cross-postings dissappear on systems that alias the new
group.  I think the solution to the comp.sources.3b1 lack-of-distribution
is a proper archive (accessible by anom. uucp), so we won't miss anything.

What I would have LIKED to have done, is to be able to compare
which machines articles posted to unix-pc groups alone got to,
and which machines comp.sys.3b1 articles got to.  Then compare
the lists to see which machines don't pass articles in comp.sys.3b1
(that were passing the old pc groups) to see who to talk to.

Why are we aliasing unix-pc.test ANYWHERE?  That would have been
a good place to post copies of a test message, and there's really
no purpose for the messages in the group except to test posting
to the unix-pc distribution.

*sigh*  Well, I'll do what I can to identify the holes with the
articles that are currently on hico2.  If anybody has about a
month's worth of articles WITH headers on their machine, maybe
they can check this too.  I'll come up with another script
(probably with another bug :-) :-( ) that'll generate a list
of machines (sort of like that I used to post the usage analysis
a while ago)

Meanwhile, check to make sure the machine YOU are on is carrying
the new groups.  If it's not, get your administrator to fix it.
                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak
                        {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak