TAR on 3b1

Floyd Davidson floyd at hayes.ims.alaska.edu
Sun Jun 30 08:12:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun28.220436.29284 at news.iastate.edu> vancleef at iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes:
>In article <1991Jun28.120929.24594 at sco.COM> tom at sco.COM (Tom Kelly) writes:
>>In article <136 at morwyn.UUCP>, forrie at morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes
>>about problems with

[...]

>>is no message from tar, it just hangs.  (This problem is independent
>>standard input, but I suspect the pipe.  I have largely switched
>>to cpio, and find that it works fine with a pipe.
>>
>>Tom Kelly (scocan!ancill!tom)
>
>I have seen this problem with files tarred and compressed on a
>DECstation under Ultrix 4.1.  The pipe hangs.  Solution is to
>uncompress the file first, then untar it.  Finding a real fix is
>one more round-tuit project.

Pax seems to work well as a tar replacement, though its cpio
and pax variations have some bugs.

GNU tar version 1.10beta is also available.  It definitely will
compile and seems to work fine, though I haven't had it long
enough to say it has no problems.

Floyd
--
Floyd L. Davidson   | Alascom, Inc. pays me, |UA Fairbanks Institute of Marine
floyd at ims.alaska.edu| but not for opinions.  |Science suffers me as a guest.