3b1 tape drive blues

Merv Graham merv at gpstwr.UUCP
Fri Mar 1 04:49:42 AEST 1991

rmfowler at texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:

>I just purchased a tape drive and controller for my 3b1.  When
>I run the tape diagnostics, the 3 tests for the controller pass but
>then it says the tape drive isn't ready.  The tape drive is plugged
>in, connected to the board, and a tape is inserted and the retension
>phase seems to work ok.  Latch is closed also(pointing up).

I'm not sure this is the same problem as I had, BUT I had the same
symptoms when I tried to use a tape cartridge other than the one
(and only one) recommended by AT&T.  I forget the cartridge number
recomended ( I'm on another machine now).  The system appears to check
the tape size during the retensioning phase and if it doesn't match it
quits with an irrelevant error message.

Hope this helps.  Merv Graham

Merv Graham                 |     gpstwr!merv at gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com
Graham-Patten Systems, Inc. | or: tektronix!gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com!gpstwr!merv
P.O. Box 1960               |
Grass Valley, CA 95945      | Ph: 916-273-8412   FAX: 916-273-7458