stty: : Not a typewriter

Elliot B Dierksen ebd at fang.ATT.COM
Wed Mar 13 03:16:53 AEST 1991

>From article <1495 at das13.snide.com>, by dave at das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder):
> That's the error message I get while doing various things on my machine.
>
> For example: when in vi, I like to read in the current date & time by typing
> "!!date".  What that does is fork a shell, run date and the output of date is
> read into the buffer (see example below).
>
> Wed Mar  6 07:31:23 EST 1991
>

> Now for some strange reason, this is what I get when I type "!!date".
>
> stty: : Not a typewriter
> Wed Mar  6 07:38:47 EST 1991
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

I have a solution that I got from Don Lashcomb (donlash at uncle.UUCP) because
it also happened with his enhanced cron.

In your .kshrc ($ENV)

case "$-" in
*i*)	stty splot ;;	# only runs stty when in interactive mode
esac

I already mailed that to Dave, but I thought it might be of interest to the
net in general.

Hope that helps,

EBD
--
Elliot Dierksen        "It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."
                        --  "This is Spinal Tap"