MDG / ipcs on the on the 3b1

timothy.j.lipetz tjl at cbnews.att.com
Fri Mar 1 05:21:52 AEST 1991

I have questions about shared memory and ipc messages on
the 3b1 and also about the multi player dungeon game MDG.

I finally got MDG built (using -lcurses instead of -ltinfo
and using ccc instead of cc so it used the shared libraries.)
The response time (on my 2meg 3b1) is horrible for one player
and virtually frozen-up for two players.  I had to kill the
MDG processes from another window.

There was a warning in the MDG README file about have at least
40 message headers in your kernel.  I thought perhaps this
might be the problem.

MY QUESTIONS...

How many message headers does 3.51m have?  How do I check
that?

I tried running ipcs, but all it ever said was 'no memory file'
whatever that means.  How can I get it to work?

I tried running mapmem (from the net) to look at shared memory.
How does mapmem indicate a shared memory block?

Finally, has anyone gotten MDG to work well on the 3b1?
Should I recompile it with the 3 player max limit?

Thanks,
Timothy J. Lipetz
att!cbzoo!tjl