Tape drive for 3b2 (and also UNIX PC (and also IBM PC))

david at chasefrs.UUCP david at chasefrs.UUCP
Thu Feb 19 04:06:33 AEST 1987

In article <4419 at jhunix.UUCP>, msc_wers at jhunix.UUCP (Edward R Scheinerman) writes:

> I am interested in purchasing a tape drive for backing
> up the hard disk on my 3b2. Any suggestions? If possible,
> I'd like a device which will also work with UNIX and IBM PC's.
> Please respond by e-mail. Thanks!
>
> -Ed Scheinerman		msc_wers at jhunix
>  Dept. of Math. Sci.
>  Johns Hopkins Univ.
>  Balto., MD 21218

There is a company called Feith Systems (contact Ms. Carver Mateer
at (215)-667-5575) which sells a 9 track tape drive (Cipher) with
an Ibex controller plus software that they wrote, which attaches
to one of the serial ports of the 3B2.  It comes in two versions,
the first which can read/write 1600/3200 bpi tapes is $10,000,
while one which can also read/write 6250bpi tapes is $15,000.
I have not seen or tried one yet, so I can't give you any  more
details.