xerox memory upgrade

aptr at ur-tut.UUCP aptr at ur-tut.UUCP
Wed Feb 18 00:30:14 AEST 1987

In article <1057 at uwmacc.UUCP> fox at uwmacc.UUCP (Jane Fox) writes:

>I need help on upgrading the memory of the Xerox computer
>that is similar to the AT&T 6300.
>I've been asked whether the chips currently
>on the board can be replaced so as to increase the
>memory to 640K.
>Has anyone out there done this?

That depends on the revision of the mother board that you have.  The
first question is do you have 512k on the Mother board already or not.
If you have it on the mother board, it is a imple matter of filling the
extra two empty banks with 64k memories.  If you do not have this type
of mother board, I am not sure how it can be done, except to add memory
to the video board.

Once the memory has been added, you must set the dip switches to tell
the computer how much memory it has.  For the first motherboard, the one
with 512 on it, reffer to the section in the "Hardware Installation and
Facts" book that tells how to set the dip switches for the 6065 (or what
ever the name of the dedicated word processor is.  For the other mother
board, reffer to the dip swtich settings under adding memory to the
6064.  There are two ways to check that the settings are correct:  1)
watch how much memory the system finds on power-up, 2) run the
diagnostics program that came with the system.

Now that I have answered the question, Does anyone know if there is a
way to access the upper 360k that can be gotten by using 256k chips
instead of 64k chips on the mother board?

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss at uorvm

Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"  - M. Binkley