68881 for ATT 3B1

sbw at naucse.UUCP sbw at naucse.UUCP
Thu Feb 12 03:16:48 AEST 1987

The new release of UNIX for the 3B1 shows C compiler support
for a 68881.  In addition, the Parts List includes a math
acceleration unit (MC 68881).

I did a little a little checking, and here's what I found out.

(1) National Parts has (as of about a week ago) no record of
	the part number.

(2) The part, aka a Math Coprocessor, does exist and lists for
	(get this) about $2500.

That seems pretty steep to me, give the total cost of a 3B1
system.  I assume it reflects the fact that it is more than
just a simple chip install, but perhaps an entire board.

Does anyone know more about this?  Is there a cheaper way to
put the 68881 in, now that the software knows about it.  I'd
love to have one, but not at that price.

While I'm at it, does anyone know the cost of upgrading from
a 40MB disk to a 70MB?

Please mail me responses,  I'll post a summary if there's
enough interest.

	Thanks
	Steve Wampler
	{......}!arizona!naucse!sbw