Using an EGA in an ATT6300

ben at catnip.UUCP ben at catnip.UUCP
Sun Feb 1 04:19:50 AEST 1987

In article <492 at uvm-gen.UUCP> haviland at uvm-gen.UUCP writes:
>    Is there anyone out there with experience in using a graphics adapter
>    on an AT&T 6300 other than the one that comes with it (such as an EGA
>    card)?  The slots in the 6300 are supposedly IBM compatable as regards
>    memory boards and such, but since AT&T developed their own graphics
>    adapter, I'm not sure if you can get around it.  The adapter itself
>    is not in a normal slot but seems to be off the end of the bus.

Yes, we have several 6300s working with other video cards.  There are
about four jumpers that have to be installed on the AT&T video card to
disable it.  I suggest that you call AT&T support for details, but if
there is sufficient interest I could get the information from our hardware
technician.

We have had no problems running the 6300 was an IBM CGA or with a Hercules
color card (though the parallel port on the Herc card doesn't work).  We
once tried without success to install a Quadram QEGA+, but I am not sure
whether the problem was with the card or the 6300.  (Cause I then tried it
in a vanilla IBM-PC, it didn't work there either)

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben