file transfer 3b2 -> pc6300+

randy at chinet.UUCP randy at chinet.UUCP
Sun Feb 8 06:21:49 AEST 1987

In article <2365 at homxb.UUCP> cjn at homxb.UUCP (C.NORTHRUP) writes:
>I would like to transfer ascii text files between a 3b2 and a 6300+.
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this can be done?  I tried the
>telephone communication manager, but it drops some chars.  I have also
>tried to format a floppy on a 3b2, but it can't be read by the 6300.
>I have also tried to format  a floppy on the 6300, but it can't be read
>by the 3b2..... etc

	The 3b2, Altos 586, and SCO XENIX (for the AT) all use the same
format for their floppies.  In msdos (XENIX) parlance, it is 96ds9
format, or 96 tpi, 9 sectors per track.  I have used cpio to the
raw device to transfer software between all systems.  It turns out
that Microport UNIX also has this capability, but you have to do
your own mknod for the 96ds9 device.  My AT is doing something else
now, or I would give you the minor device number.  Microport tech
support has it.  And seeing as the 6300+ UNIX is the same as Microport's,
it will and does also work with it.  If you can't get the device number,
send me some mail, and I will look it up.

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess