6300 Clock & PC-DOS 3.1

jeffm at mmintl.UUCP jeffm at mmintl.UUCP
Mon Feb 23 05:06:39 AEST 1987

*
My comments about the need for 3com's enet.sys driver being necessary for
my 6300's clock to work properly are specifically directed at PC-DOS 3.1
on my machine.  I don't know about and MS-DOS version.  I use PC-DOS due
to the reasonable cluster size.  The clock works automatically and per-
fectly.  The time seems to be extremely accurate even over long periods.
My ROMs are V1.21.  I've run the same PC-DOS on it since the summer of 85,
at which time I had ROMs V1.1 and the clock worked fine then also.

Sometimes the clocks don't work when you get the machine because the
batteries have never been charged.  Often this can be remedied by leaving
the machine on for 48 hours or so.  When that doesn't do it the battery
is just deader than a door nail.  I fixed one of those once by removing
the jumpers connecting the battery to the mboard and zapping it with about
3.3 volts for a few hours.  Then I left the machine on for 2 days and it
worked.  Sometimes you can really shock a nicad into working again by
hitting it with reverse voltage momentarily.  You've got to know what
you're doing with that one but it can be done.  Unfortunately, when all
fails with the battery there's nothing you can do but void your warranty
and replace the battery yourself (not recommended) unless you care to
wait a long time for factory repair.  Why the battery must be soldered
to the mboard is beyond me.  Nothings perfect, not even the 6300 (it is
close).  P.S.  All 6300s should have V30s for best performance.

Jeff

        *  Jeff Miller                                  *
        *  Multimate International, an Ashton-Tate Co.  *
        *  52 Oakland Avenue                            *
        *  East Hartford, CT  06108-9911                *
        *  (203) 522-2116 x257                          *
        *  UUCP:                                        *
        * ...!seismo!utah-cs!utah-gr!pwa-b!mmintl!jeffm *