file transfer 3b2 -> pc6300+

nromy at ihlpg.UUCP nromy at ihlpg.UUCP
Thu Feb 12 09:32:09 AEST 1987

> I would like to transfer ascii text files between a 3b2 and a 6300+.
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this can be done?  I tried the
> telephone communication manager, but it drops some chars.  I have also
> tried to format a floppy on a 3b2, but it can't be read by the 6300.
> I have also tried to format  a floppy on the 6300, but it can't be read
> by the 3b2..... etc
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated

A possible solution to your problem is to use a transfer protocol, such
as umodem which was mentioned in another reply, or, as a better solution,
Kermit.  Two of the key advantages of Kermit over umodem and other transfer
programs, I think, is that it allows batch file transfers (e.g. - * , *.c,
etc.), along with, in many cases, having its own terminal emulation package
(usually a VT-52 or a Heath-19).  I am a constant user of the Kermit
protocol to transfer data between machines and have never had any problems
(in fact, I've found times where there was no other reliable, and as common
between machines, method to use).

If by now you're thinking that, even if Kermit does all you want, where
are you going to get a copy, then "It so happens...," to use an oft used
phrase, that I have a version of Kermit that is written wholly in C.  It
includes a makefile which allows the program to be built under just about
any Unix or Unix-like system made (in other words, we're talking portable!).
Also, I have a version of Kermit written for the PC (the program CTRM also
implements to Kermit protocol) in case the 6300 end system will be DOS as
opposed to something like XENIX or INIX.

If you are interested (or if anyone else is interested) in exploring this
possible solution more, you can reach me as shown below.

--
				Neil Romy
				AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL