96 TPI drives in the 6300?

henkp at nikhefk.UUCP henkp at nikhefk.UUCP
Sun Feb 22 06:49:47 AEST 1987

In article <384 at neoucom.UUCP> wtm at neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>I noticed that the dipswitch on the 6300
>motherboad has settings for 48 and 96 tpi
>drives.  Has anyone out there used a high
>density drive?  Is there support for it
>from the BIOS, version 1.21 or 1.43?
>Would Microsoft DOS 3.2 with driver.sys
>be appropriate?

The 6300 (M24) can be used with 48 and 96 tpi floppy drives.
One of the motherbord switches select the mode. 48 tpi can
also be read by msdos 2.11 in the 96tpi mode. I have used
bios versions 1.1 and 1.21. I do not (yet) have 1.43 (but
can it handle 32MB harddisks? 1.36 do't!).
PCDOS 3.2 (IBM) works with 48 and 96 tpi drives. Driver.sys
must only be used to format 96 tpi floppys! but you can use
it always for 96 tpi. (My system has one 48 tpi and one 96 tpi
drive. I have never tried to read a 48 tpi floppy on a 96
tpi drive under 3.2.)

henk peek, henkp at nikhefk.uucp  ..!seismo!mcvax!nikhefk!henkp.uucp