AT&T 7300 - good buy?

Rick Coates rickc at agora.UUCP
Fri Apr 15 08:20:01 AEST 1988

To comp.sys.att people:

I just got a flyer today in the mail from an outfit selling 'surplus'
AT&T 7300's.  They want $1295 for .5M ram, 20M disk, and a s/w bundle
that has EMACS, /rdb, a C interpreter, and Wizard/PS.

They want $995 for the same h/w with no bundle, $495 for the same
h/w except for a 10M disk.

My question is, what kind of deal is this?  I have a PC XT for my home
system and would much rather have a Unix system (I am a BSEE currently
working as a consultant doing graphics software applications and
system programming on Sun-3's and Sun-4's).

The price seems pretty good, but is a 7300 a reasonable machine?  I really
wince at the $495 AT&T 'Developer's Utility Software' - I consider this
a necessity.

Many thanks in advance.

Rick Coates

tektronix!sequent!islabs!ateq!rick