Mathematica on 3b1

sherlock at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu sherlock at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 15 15:38:00 AEST 1988

In the April 11th issue of Fortune magazine (pg 90) is mentioned a new
symbolic math program called Mathematica developed by Stephen Wolfram
here at the University of Illinois.  In the article they mention that
Mathematica runs on a wide variety of computers, including the new Macs,
and Cray supercomputers.  I've just seen it running on Unix PC's.  Very
Impressive!  All the graphics are done using PostScript and piped to
a windowing PostScript interpreter for display on the screen.  I'd say
the speed is roughly comparable to a Mac II.  Formulae can be output in
a number of different forms, including TeX, for direct inclusion in doc-
uments.  The people who developed it seem uncertain about it's future on
the 3b1 as the computer is no longer being manufactured.  I don't know if
they plan to market it, but I cannot ignore the attractiveness of as pow-
rful a symbolic math program as Mathematica on a computer like the 3b1, which
can be gotten for about a thousand bucks at a variety of dealers.

Tom Sherlock
University of Illinois Department of Physics

Arpanet: sherlock%uiucuxe at a.cs.uiuc.edu
Csnet:   sherlock%uiucuxe at uiuc.csnet
Bitnet:  sherlock at uiucuxe
Usenet:  {inhp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucuxa!uiucuxe!sherlock
Phone:   (217) 333-0509