GCC 1.20 on 3B1

Alex S. Crain alex at umbc3.UMD.EDU
Sat Apr 30 01:33:17 AEST 1988

In article <31200020 at urbsdc> aglew at urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:

>Thanks be to the folks who ported GCC 1.18 to the 3B1;
>can anyone help me with the trivial problems I'm having with
>1.20?

	[various bugs deleted]

>Before I go any further, have I made a wrong turn somewhere in setting
>up the environment for compiling GCC 1.20 on a 3B1?

	I did the port of 1.18, and set up the changes in for 1.20 and mailed
them off to The FSF. I have not seen 1.20 yet, although I have heard that
it does	not compile.

	To be honest, I would be surprised if it did. Part of what I had to do
was to bring the unixpc version in line with the hp version that was being
developed at mit. The bugs described here are what I expected, typo's and
hp behaviour that sneaked in.

	For example, the unixpc assembler takes ~ as opposed to ., but will
not except ~+2 in any form. The hp version likes to use .+2, and as yet, there
is no global unixpc alternative, so when a .+2 sneaks into the distribution,
it has to be fixed in the unixpc code.

BTW: The fix for this is to change "set LIxx,.+2" to simply "LIxx:". The
former leaves the LIxx out of the symbol table, the latter does not, oh well.

	The problems with 1.20 should be minor. I will be making a full bug
report up for mit so that these bugs can be fixed (others surely remain), but
I won't be able to do that for at least 3 weeks, and maybe not till 1.21.

	The output code differences between 1.18 and 1.20 are small, so the
simple solution is, use 1.18 for a few versions, and upgrade from a full dist
at 1.23 or so, in say, August. The hp code should be stable by then, and the
unixpc stuff should work pretty well.

--
					:alex.

nerwin!alex at umbc3.umd.edu