UNIX-PC Unix version (2 or 3)

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Sat Apr 30 02:12:20 AEST 1988

In article <135 at sysadm.UUCP>, bjorn at sysadm.UUCP (Administration Login) writes:
> I have seen many postings discussing the UNIX-PC software.  Unless
> some people out in net-land are better off then I am, you are
> running Unix V release 2.  The release 3.x mentioned in the spec's
> for the machine are the version of Unix V.2 for that machine.

I've been amused by the talk of Sys V Rel 3 in this group as
well.  The UNIX-PC software is almost certainly based on System V
Release 0.  Our original manuals for the 7300 mention SVR0, and
lots of other signs abound: /bin/sh has no shell functions, the
miserable curses, the old archive formats, and the dates found
in various system files.

My primary experience is with UNIX-PC Software version 3.0, and
it looks *very* much like SVR0.  Velease 3.5, which I am only
slightly familiar, seems to be a lot better (terminfo, etc.).
Nevertheless, I find it highly improbably that AT&T (or
Convergent) built 3.5 from fresh SVR2 source; they likely just
added the user-level utilities to Release 0.  The only real
SVR3-ism I see in the UNIX-PC is the shared library facility.

Rebuttals of this are encouraged.

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.    "I do everything in software, even DMA"
friedl at vsi.com        {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl        attmail!vsi!friedl