C compilers for the 3B2

Bill.Stewart.<ho95c> wcs at skep2.ATT.COM
Mon Apr 25 00:53:12 AEST 1988

:< The 4.2 C compiler  on the 3B2 can optimize code for faster performance.
:< The code generated in many cases is noticeably faster than 4.1 generated code.
:< Possibly 50% faster (NO PROMISES).
:Does anybody know if AT&T is shipping
:C Programming Utilities 4.2 (CPLU 4.2) and what the PEC is?

Call 1-800-828-UNIX, the UNIX Software Sales office.
Things the compiler does well included inlining function calls
and generating real code for floating point instead of subroutine calls
to routines which check for the MAU and then execute or emulate.
I think it also takes a lot more advantage of 32100 features, so it
generates code that won't run on 32000s.  Floating point code, and code
that uses lots of small subroutines, will improve drastically.
Generated code is a bit bigger as well, but it's normally worthwhile.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs