What is fixed by the 3.51a fixdisk?

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Mon Apr 11 13:53:03 AEST 1988

Hiya,

With all the talk about the brain-damaged fixdisk(s) on the net
these days, I'm starting to wonder if I want to have it.  I've got
a a couple of questions:

1.  Can anybody enumerate what the fixdisk(s) fix?  I put uucico
and freinds that came with 3.51 away when I started running HDB
uucp.  My main purpose for doing so was to run uugetty that comes
with HDB.

2.  Does one have to ask for the fixdisk in order to get it?  Heck,
I still haven't gotten my wonderful personal calendar.  Yes,  I did
discover the pcal in /etc/fixes.  I really would like to have the
fixdisk around on principle, should I sell the system some day, it
would be nice to be able to say I have all the bits and pieces.

3.  Of course my generous :-) 90 warranty is up.  Is it going to
set me back the usual $120 consutation fee to call the hotline if I
want the fixdisk?

Sorry to hear about the people that got nailed and hadn't noticed
the bootable file system floppy in the foundation set.  The manual
is really weak on what to do in such emergency situations.  For a
supposedly turn-key Unix system, there sure ain't much hand-holding
in this dept.  I recently had to salvage an Apple A/ux system where
I messed up /etc/sysinit.rc or whatever its called.  I really felt like
my heart was in my hand on that one since the hard disk *is* the
distribution medium!!  At least a mini-root floppy was included,
with a reference in the manual that it was for emergency repairs --
of course Apple stuck to the AT&T tradition and said nothing of how
to use it.  At least we owners of the 3b1 have the distribution
floppies to fall back on in the case of major flames!  With A/ux,
you'd be S.O.L.

--Bill