What is fixed by the 3.51a fixdisk?

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Thu Apr 14 00:15:54 AEST 1988

In article <1098 at neoucom.UUCP> wtm at neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>Hiya,

Greetings.

>With all the talk about the brain-damaged fixdisk(s) on the net
>these days, I'm starting to wonder if I want to have it.  I've got
>a a couple of questions:
>
>1.  Can anybody enumerate what the fixdisk(s) fix?  I put uucico
>and freinds that came with 3.51 away when I started running HDB
>uucp.  My main purpose for doing so was to run uugetty that comes
>with HDB.

Attached to the end of this reply is the original message Lenny
Tropiano (lenny at icus) generated and posted when the 3.51a fixdisks
originally were released.  This is still completely current.

If you are running HDB, you will _not_ want to install the entire
fixdisk.  (Fortunately, it asks you for each repair if you want to
install it or not).  For example, I'm sure since you are running HDB,
that you really don't want to install the new uucico.  Since HDB has
no official support, ATT does not document what you should and should
not install.  You'll have to work that out (of course, the entire
documentation is one page, and is very terse, but actually relatively
complete.  It basically says 'Do this, and install everything, unless
you don't have this, then don't install this part.'

>2.  Does one have to ask for the fixdisk in order to get it?  Heck,
>I still haven't gotten my wonderful personal calendar.  Yes,  I did
>discover the pcal in /etc/fixes.  I really would like to have the
>fixdisk around on principle, should I sell the system some day, it
>would be nice to be able to say I have all the bits and pieces.

Fixdisk:  Yes.  You must call the hotline and request it.  Have your
serial number handy.  They will ask for it.  And as previously noted,
Fixdisks, like any other patches are available to registered owners.
However, if you haven't registered your machine, you may still have no
problems.  Most of the techs/clerks are pretty casual about it, but
there are always a few...

Calendar:  Isn't the pcal in /etc/fixes the same as what you would get
if ATT actually sent you a disk?

>3.  Of course my generous :-) 90 warranty is up.  Is it going to
>set me back the usual $120 consutation fee to call the hotline if I
>want the fixdisk?

No.  But if the clerk who answers the phone starts to make any trouble
or comments along those lines, just point out that all you want is the
3.51a fixdisk set, which is available free of charge to all registered
3b1 owners.  The only thing they'll do is take your name and address,
and then mail it off.  Usually that day or the next day, it seems.

Contents of the fixdisks... Original posting follows:

The long awaited bugs of 3.51 have been "ironed" out by NSSC and the
3.51 fixdisks are going to be available next week.  If you are lucky you
might be fortunate to get them earlier like I did, but I depends on who
you speak to and your urgency.  It comes on two installable diskettes.
Here is the *BUGLIST* that is fixes...

::::::::::::::
ate/Info
::::::::::::::

The terminal emulator (/usr/bin/async_main) has fixes for
the following:

	-lockfiles not being removed
	-vt100 enter key mapping incorrect
	-slow performance when using 513 or vt100 emulation
::::::::::::::
kernel/Info
::::::::::::::

The UNIX(r) PC 3.51a Custom Kernel (/UNIX3.51a) has fixes
for the following:

	-tty driver does not return null character on break
	-break sent over modem freezes serial port
	-lp driver truncates lines to 132 chararters
::::::::::::::
kmap/Info
::::::::::::::

Kmap (/usr/lib/ua/kmap.610) corrects the misspelling of RollDn
in the kmap file for the 610 terminal.
::::::::::::::
ksh/Info
::::::::::::::

Ksh (/bin/ksh) has fixes for the following:

	-dumps core on long input lines while in emacs mode
::::::::::::::
modemcap/Info
::::::::::::::

Modemcap (/usr/lib/uucp/modemcap) has an entry
for the AT&T 4024 modem.
::::::::::::::
ph/Info
::::::::::::::

The Phone Manager (/etc/ph) has fixes for the following:

	-ph stops logging calls in .history
	-call screen pops up
	-ph dies after several calls
::::::::::::::
tam/Info
::::::::::::::

The tam library (/usr/lib/libtam.a) has the following:

	-newly developed applications linked with the new
	 tam library can draw windows/contents in one pass
	 instead of two
::::::::::::::
uucp/Info

The uucp (/usr/lib/uucp/uucico) has fixes for the following:

	-uucico hangs at call completion
	-uucico turns modem speaker on
	-time stamps incorrect in LOGFILE

--
"Cursed Eraser Causes People                Robert J. Granvin
 to Vanish Forever."                        National Information Systems, Inc.

rjg at sialis.mn.org             ...uunet!{amdahl,hpda,rosevax}!bungia!sialis!rjg