Bugs exist in the 3.51a kernel from the fixdisk distribution.

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Mon Apr 11 01:26:39 AEST 1988

In article <336 at icus.UUCP> lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Now that everyone who got and installed the 3.51a kernel that was one
>of the couple of fixes found on the Fixdisks available from the National
>Systems Support Hotline, bugs have been claimed to exist.
>
>Here's a posting that a friend of mine  [...]
>
>|>After a fair amount of phone calls and working with ATT phonetechs,
>|>they have finally determined that there is indeed a problem with the
>|>3.51a kernel that is being distributed on the current (and only) set
>|>of 3.51 fixdisks.
>|>
>|>Anyways, the 3.51a kernel has a tendancy to panic your 3b1 on sporadic
>|>occasions with the message:
>|>
>|>   [...]
>|>
>|>As mentioned previously, I have the full 3.51a fixdisk set available
>|>via UUCP.  If you would like to obtain it, please drop me a note and
>|>we'll set up a link if neccesary.

I'm one of the first people who will complain about the AT&T Software
Hotline for a wide variety of reasons.  I will also complain alot
about the tehnical support that is given to the 3b1.  Although, there
are many times that I have no reason to complain, and am pleased.

This is definately one of those times.  AT&T is taking a serious
interest in this, and they have given it some real priority, even to
the point where they will be making calls in the reverse direction (to
me!  neat!  :-)

Anyways... I do not know at this time what the plan is, and how the
replacement kernel will be distributed.  There are two basic ways it
can be done...

1) it can be distributed as a second patch disk to the first set of
disks.

2) the first two patch disks could be recinded entirely, the new
kernel placed on it, and rereleased as Fixdisk set #1, version 1.1

If the latter, people who have already intalled the 3.51a fixdisk set
would simply obtain a new one (when available!  Do not call now!) and
only install the kernel patch.  (These disks were nice by asking you
to confirm that you wanted to install each patch before it went ahead
and did it).  I do _not_ know any timeframe on this.  But considering
AT&T, the fact that the problem has not been located yet, and also the
fact that they like to test things (relatively) thoroughly before
throwing it out to us pack of wolves, there could be quite some time
before it's available.  So don't hold your breath.  It would get ugly.
:-)

Continued investigation does seem to support (although not
conclusively) that usage of the On Board Modem (OBM) does seem to be
related to problem.  If you don't use the OBM, you may never see it.
Also, if you do use the OBM, you may also never see it.

Re: the final paragraph included above, the UUCP transfer offer was in
support primarily for a local group.  While I'm willing to help, I'm a
little leery right now of any non-local distribution until I know what
the AT&T plans are for future fixdisks.  Anyways, if you really do
want to get the current set (It does solve a lot of problems like the
uucico-crash-and-die-really-well bugs) the best procedure is to
contact AT&T directly for them.  They do have some policies regarding
distribution that I'm not sure about.  Anyways, you'll end up being
able to get it faster from AT&T than from me.  AT&T will mail the
disks the day or the day after you call.  They should show up within a
week or two.  The technician can probably tell you better.

- Call the AT&T Software Hotline at 1-800-922-0364 (this number is
  in your Owners Manual in an insert).
- Tell them you want the 3.51a fixdisk set.
- They will ask you for your serial number, name and phone number.
  They require this information for their records.  If you haven't
  mailed in your warranty registration (in which case they wouldn't
  have you on file), I don't know how they will react.  _This_is_one
  of_those_perfect_examples_why_you_should_have_registered_your_
  machine_!  AT&T _does_ offer some free updates or fixes, but only
  to registered owners.
- If you are out of warranty, explain to the clerk that you are not
  asking for technical support, but only to be mailed the 3.51a
  fixdisks which (as I understand it) are available free of charge
  to all registered owners.  (Some clerks find it necessary to be
  generally unwilling to help anyone who is out of warranty, but
  fortunately those are relatively few and they usually (though not
  always! :-) listen to reason.

Thank you for your support.  :-)

--
"Cursed Eraser Causes People                Robert J. Granvin
 to Vanish Forever."                        National Information Systems, Inc.

rjg at sialis.mn.org             ...uunet!{amdahl,hpda,rosevax}!bungia!sialis!rjg