Boot problems on 3B1

Kim Wallen {Psy} kim at emory.uucp
Thu Aug 11 22:37:08 AEST 1988

This is probably the same thing others have been recently
describing, but suddenly my <1yr old 3B1 has trouble booting.
The symptoms are that the disk comes up to speed and the screen
just shows a green pattern (sort of a lattice-work).  It seems
if I let the system warm up (its in a room at 80 degrees) then
turn it off an on several times it suddenly boots.  After that
it works fine and will reboot if I shut it down and restart
immediately.  If left to sit for a couple of hours it goes
through the same routine.

The system is clearly not going through the early start up routine.
the leds are lit and the caps and nulock keys on the board light
and go out and then nothing. Pressing the reset button relights the
keyboard and puts clitches on the screen, but nothing else.

Any hints?  Should I try reseating all the chips (the machine
has NOT been recently moved)?

Thanks

Kim Wallen
Psychology Department