Boot problems on 3B1

John C. Sucilla jcs at tarkus.UUCP
Sat Aug 13 11:03:08 AEST 1988

In article <3127 at emory.uucp> kim at emory.uucp (Kim Wallen {Psy}) writes:
>This is probably the same thing others have been recently
>describing, but suddenly my <1yr old 3B1 has trouble booting.
>The symptoms are that the disk comes up to speed and the screen
>just shows a green pattern (sort of a lattice-work).

Clean and lube the power cable connector on top of the power supply.
You might even want to get in there and adjust the fingers so they'll
make better contact.  I think the heat generated by the supply causes the
mechanical connection to get flaky after a few temperature cycles
(another good reason to install a 110V. constant speed fan).

I've seen one 3B1 that melted the plastic around one contact of
the female connector because of a loose connection.  Right Suess?

--
John "C". Sucilla,  A silicon based life form.
       {att,chinet,ddsw1}!tarkus!jcs