Boot problems on 3B1

Randy Suess randy at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon Aug 15 01:36:03 AEST 1988

In article <227 at tarkus.UUCP> jcs at tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) writes:

>I've seen one 3B1 that melted the plastic around one contact of
>the female connector because of a loose connection.  Right Suess?

	Heh!  Yep, sure did.  I upgraded my <100 serial number
	7300 (paid >$4000 for that sucker over 4 years ago)
	and recently added the 3b1 upgrade top so I could add
	a full hight 80 meg drive to it.  The ribbon connector
	got so hot, that it melted the plastic plug around the
	+5 volt pins.  The system was very erratic from then on.
	I finally soldered a new power connector directly to the
	power supply and the system has been stable since.  So,
	don't connect anything other than a low power half-height
	or 3 1/2 inch drive the the original 7300.  The power supply
	can handle the power of a larger drive, but the connector
	can't.

--

Randy Suess                 * But don't underestimate raw, frothing,  *
randy at chinet.chi.il.us      * manic hardware.           -barry shein  *