Boot problems on 3B1

Hans Jespersen hjespers at attcan.UUCP
Mon Aug 15 23:51:56 AEST 1988

In article <3127 at emory.uucp>, kim at emory.uucp (Kim Wallen {Psy}) writes:
> This is probably the same thing others have been recently
> describing, but suddenly my <1yr old 3B1 has trouble booting.
> The symptoms are that the disk comes up to speed and the screen
> just shows a green pattern (sort of a lattice-work).  It seems
> if I let the system warm up (its in a room at 80 degrees) then
> turn it off an on several times it suddenly boots.  After that
> it works fine and will reboot if I shut it down and restart
> immediately.  If left to sit for a couple of hours it goes
> through the same routine.
> Any hints?  Should I try reseating all the chips (the machine
> has NOT been recently moved)?

Have you tried dropping your 3b1!!!! Notice no smiley face, that's
because I'm serious. I know several people who have experienced similar
booting headaches and a good swift jolt solved the problem. I believe
it has something to do with the hard disk being reluctant to spin up
to proper speed. The hot temperature or the on/off (spin up/spin down)
solves the problem temporarily.

Hans Jespersen                          |
AT&T Canada Inc.                        |     PLACE SILLY TEXT BASED
PHONE : (416)499-9400                   |     GRAPHIC DOODAD HERE.
UUCP  : { uunet | att }!attcan!hjespers |