Answers to Most Asked UNIX-PC Questions (1st edition)

Scot E Wilcoxon sewilco at datapg.MN.ORG
Wed Aug 17 14:41:38 AEST 1988

This is the first edition of a regularly-posted article.  I'm open to
suggestions, particularly sources of software development tools.

I might mention vertical software, but wish this to be viewed as support
of the UNIX PC instead of the advertising which some nets frown upon.
Let me know of any software, and I'll try to classify it and make all
software sources be listed someplace.

People often are looking for software.  Do any archive sites wish to be
listed here?

Several individuals have mentioned having oversize hard-disk motherboard
components available.  Those who wish to be listed here should so inform me.

Answers to most frequently asked questions about the AT&T UNIX PC:

1. What are the AT&T UNIX PC, 7300, and 3B1?  Which do I have?

   UNIX PC and 7300 were the AT&T marketing terms for the original machine,
   with 10 or 20MB hard disk.  3B1 is a more recent name, particularly for
   the 67MB model.  A 67MB 3B1 also has a different top cover, a slightly
   different motherboard than the original, more than 512K on the motherboard,
   and a higher-rated power supply.  "Safari" was the development code name.
   "UNIX PC" refers to all machines in the family.

   The model number should be on the name plate on the bottom of the machine.
   When the keyboard is on the housing, the 7300 case is a slanted wedge shape.
   On a 3B1, the monitor is mounted on a square horizontal box protruding above
   the slanted top of the wedge.  This is because the 67MB hard disk is taller
   than the 7300 hard disk.

2. I mailed the card to AT&T and did not get my Personal Calendar program.

   Many machines were shipped with the calendar program in /etc/fixes.
   You have to do a few things to install it.

   Append this to your /usr/lib/ua/Office file:

   Name=Calendar
   Default = Open
   Open=EXEC -d /usr/bin/pcal -c
   Help=EXEC -d /usr/bin/uahelp -h /usr/lib/ua/ua.hlp -t Calendar

   Append this to your /usr/lib/ua/Preferences file:

   Name=Calendar
   Open=EXEC -d /usr/bin/pcal -p
   Help=EXEC -d /usr/bin/uahelp -h /usr/lib/ua/ua.hlp -t Calendar

   If you are using the pcal that is located in /etc/fixes:

   $ su
   Password:
   # mv /etc/fixes/pcal /usr/bin
   # mv /etc/fixes/pcal.hlp /usr/lib/ua
   # chown bin /usr/bin/pcal /usr/lib/ua/pcal.hlp
   # chgrp bin /usr/bin/pcal /usr/lib/ua/pcal.hlp
   # chmod 755 /usr/bin/pcal
   # chmod 644 /usr/lib/ua/pcal.hlp

3. How do I park the hard disk heads before moving the machine?

   The Miniscribe disk used in the 67MB machines parks the heads
   automatically, and loudly, when the power is turned off.

   To park the heads push the Cmd key and select Shutdown.  After
   the machine is shut down, insert the Diagnostics floppy disk and
   boot from it.  Select Park Disk Heads from the Diagnostics menu.

4. How do I open the case?

   The obvious screws on the bottom allow either removal of the top of
   the plastic case or removal of the plastic case from the metal base.
   Different screws release the plastic case or only the top (the part above
   the keyboard storage area).  Read the following two paragraphs before
   removing anything other than the first step: unplug everything from the
   back. (Oh, yeah: "No user serviceable parts inside")

   When removing the top of the plastic case, there are three plastic
   hook-and-tab catches in the front of the machine, to the right of the
   floppy drive.  The top of the case must be moved outward slightly (usually
   with a screwdriver) along the joint to the right of the floppy drive in
   order to release the catches.  This exposes only the drives and power
   supply.

   When removing the plastic case from the metal base, first find the keyboard
   retainer posts (they hold the keyboard to the base--one is next to the
   socket for the keyboard plug).  Note the seam around the top of the retainer
   posts.  Remove the covers from the posts, and you'll find a screw inside
   each.  Remove those screws before removing the screws on the bottom of the
   machine.  Removing the entire plastic case exposes the motherboard.

5. How can I put in a larger disk drive?

   Upgrading from a 10, 20, or 40MB to a 67MB drive requires a 3B1 power
   supply and a 3B1 case top (the 67MB drive is taller).

   Using more than 67MB requires either an SCSI board (see below) or making
   hardware changes to the motherboard (new chips, soldering wires, etc).

6. What is THE STORE! and how do I use it?

   THE STORE! is a computer with UNIX-PC software which can be downloaded to
   your machine via uucp.  It is operated by AT&T.  THE STORE! is absolutely
   unsupported, but the catalog is still on-line and there are some neat
   things available.

   How to get there:

   1. The machine is named the shop with login shop in your L.sys(Systems)
   file.  The phone number is (201) 957-4646.  There is no password on this
   uucico-only login.  1200bps is supported as well as 2400bps (I think,
   Try it.)

   2. Once you've built this entry, do the following:

	uucp shop!/store/STOREROOM/CATALOG+IN /usr/spool/uucppublic/CATALOG+IN

   This in an installable package.  Do it and enjoy.
   WARNING:  The CATALOG+IN file is huge and will cost you plenty bucks to
   capture if you are a long ways away from New Jersey.

7. The On-Board Modem does not work with some other modems.

   The OBM creates tones which confuse some MNP modems and the Telebit
   Trailblazer.  These cannot be altered, but often a system which cannot
   call the UNIX PC OBM can be called by the UNIX PC OBM.

8. What is the operating system?

   The operating system is based on UNIX System V revision 2, with
   extensions.  The most recent version is 3.51, with a 3.51a fixdisk
   available.

   Changes in 3.51a:

   New problem: Your machine will occasionally crash with a "panic: addr
   fault in kernel" message, but _only_ if you have installed 3.51a _and_
   you use the OBM (On Board Modem).  If you use a modem attached to any
   serial port, you'll never see the problem.

   Hardware flow control works, but is broken.  HFC will consistently
   repeat a block of data in an entirely predictable way.

   The terminal emulator (/usr/bin/async_main) has fixes for the
   following:

	-lockfiles not being removed
	-vt100 enter key mapping incorrect
	-slow performance when using 513 or vt100 emulation

   The UNIX(r) PC 3.51a Custom Kernel (/UNIX3.51a) has fixes for the
   following:

	-tty driver does not return null character on break
	-break sent over modem freezes serial port
	-lp driver truncates lines to 132 chararters

   Kmap (/usr/lib/ua/kmap.610) corrects the misspelling of RollDn in
   the kmap file for the 610 terminal.

   Ksh (/bin/ksh) has fixes for the following:

	-dumps core on long input lines while in emacs mode

   Modemcap (/usr/lib/uucp/modemcap) has an entry for the AT&T 4024
   modem.

   The Phone Manager (/etc/ph) has fixes for the following:

	-ph stops logging calls in .history
	-call screen pops up
	-ph dies after several calls

   The tam library (/usr/lib/libtam.a) has the following:

	-newly developed applications linked with the new
	 tam library can draw windows/contents in one pass
	 instead of two

   The uucp (/usr/lib/uucp/uucico) has fixes for the following:

	-uucico hangs at call completion
	-uucico turns modem speaker on
	-time stamps incorrect in LOGFILE

9. What third-party hardware is available?

   Digital Data (800-346-8243):
      40, 45, and 62MB drives.
      2MB RAM expansion board.

   IDT Systems, Inc., Newark, Delaware (302-731-1583)
      3B1 HCD Kit (kit to modify 3B1 motherboard for larger disk).
      Motherboard RAM upgrade from 1/2MB to 2MB.
      2MB RAM Expansion board (available end of August).
      Bus Station (TM) SCSI adapter board (available end of August).

   Vartech, Lisle, IL (312-810-1777)
      EIA (RS-232) "Combo" boards.

Contributors and References:

1: BYTE, Vol 10 no 5 (May 1985)
2: lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano)
3: "Shutdown" (page 3-95) in AT&T UNIX PC Owner's Manual
6: Joe L. Wood
8: rjg at sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin)
8: lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano)
8: AT&T 3.51a fixdisk

--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco at DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco