Unix PC brain-damaged uucp, Honey DAN BER, etc

Steve Simmons scs at lokkur.UUCP
Thu Aug 11 12:18:14 AEST 1988

In article <724 at sialis.mn.org> rjg at sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
|>The point of my meandering is that HDB apparently works and it is
|>working very well for us.  The question is, why is AT&T not
|>releasing it?  Must be internal politics or whatever.
|
|Basically, this is the story as I know it... [[gives nice summary,
|many thanks]]
|
|>Does anybody know about the status of HDB now that it has been
|>withdrawn from the STORE?
|
|Again, this is "as I have been told"... HDB is not a released product
|for the 3b1.  Only ATT and VARs have access to it.  For a short while,
|HDB was placed in the public area on The Store!, and those that got it
|then are entitled to keep it, in an unsupported mode, but cannot
|redistribute it to anyone else.  The actual details and "legality"
|elude me.

Shall I comment on the legality of releasing something to the public
and then attempting to pull it back?  No, I won't -- I'm not a lawyer.
But if the answer to the question:
 "At the time that you got HDB from The Store, did AT&T have you
  sign a licence that you could not redistribute?"
is:
 "No."
then my decidedly non-professional opinion is that they're SOL (Short
Of Luck).  If there are any brave people with HDB and the same opinion,
can you guess what I'd like?

--
+ Steve Simmons, Inland Sea Software, Ltd.                 scs at lokkur.uucp +
| 9353 Hidden Lake, Dexter, MI. 48130		              313-426-8981 |