Unix PC brain-damaged uucp, Honey DAN BER, etc

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Wed Aug 10 12:09:17 AEST 1988

>I see that version 3.51b for the Unix PC may be lurking in the
>wings now.  Hmmm.  What I'd like to know is what patches fix what
>bugs.   [ ... ]

The exact details of 3.51b are unknown to even most within ATT.  It's
not even confirmed that it would be called 3.51b...

>The point of my meandering is that HDB apparently works and it is
>working very well for us.  The question is, why is AT&T not
>releasing it?  Must be internal politics or whatever.

Basically, this is the story as I know it... HDB was in some sort of
"functional development" when the 3b1 was withdrawn from the market.
For all practical purposes, HDB works, and works well, but it's not
entirely complete, mostly in the areas of verifications and repairs of
existing problems.

Since the machine was withdrawn, there was little interest or desire
to make available a product that would be required to be supported, so
HDB fell by the wayside.

There's a catch-22 with HDB also.  It's published everywhere that
anything from The Store! is without warranty and unsupported.
However, HoneyDanBer is a supported product no matter where it
originated.  Therefore, HDB from The Store! would have to have some
measure of official support... :-(

>Does anybody know about the status of HDB now that it has been
>withdrawn from the STORE?

Again, this is "as I have been told"... HDB is not a released product
for the 3b1.  Only ATT and VARs have access to it.  For a short while,
HDB was placed in the public area on The Store!, and those that got it
then are entitled to keep it, in an unsupported mode, but cannot
redistribute it to anyone else.  The actual details and "legality"
elude me.  I'm sure someone else who knows the story intimately will
post or mail the detailed stories...

--
                                                             Robert J. Granvin
"Martyrs are just dying                     National Information Systems, Inc.