"Can't create windows" error message on 3B1

jnelson at tle.dec.com jnelson at tle.dec.com
Mon Aug 15 07:42:00 AEST 1988

I am forwarding this message for a friend who does not have access to USENET
newsgroups.  Please reply directly to the address below.  Thanks.

-Jeff E. Nelson
----
  I work with a 3B1 which occasionally decides that it "can't
create windows."  Usually this means that I can't get beyond the
office window.  I can always log into root because it doesn't
use windows.  I can also use the 'W' window in the upper right
corner, even when I can't get normal windows.

  Can anyone explain what's happening?  Or how to solve it?
Last time it happened, I finally gave up and reloaded the
operating system.  (Turning the machine off has no effect at
all.)

  The configuration:
    3B1 running SVR 3.51
    expanded memory, ports

Thanks, Michael

Michael Leahy
ARPA:   leahymr at vtopus.cs.vt.edu
BITNET: leahymr at vtopus
UUCP:   try arpa!vtopus.cs.vt.edu!leahymr