Some rumors about "THE STORE!" (was Re: Unix PC brain-damaged uucp...)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Sat Aug 13 08:28:07 AEST 1988

In article <1311 at neoucom.UUCP> wtm at neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
...[a lot of stuff about the uucp on the 3B1 left out]...

|>The point of my meandering is that HDB apparently works and it is
|>working very well for us.  The question is, why is AT&T not
|>releasing it?  Must be internal politics or whatever.

Most likely the people at the hotline don't want to be bothered with
requests to fix "HDB" (yes, there are problems with it too) when it
isn't being supported.  The machine these days is barely being
supported, how can we expect HDB software to be supported as well.  Yes,
I do know that THE STORE software comes with a disclaimer saying none
of it is supported....

|>I wouldn't mind paying some bucks ($50-$100??) to get an officially
|>supported upgrade of, say, mailx and the HDB kit? /bin/mail really
|>is quite an excuse for mail.  I know; use elm or mush.  But it
|>would be nice to have a good mailer that was a supported product.

I doubt this sincerely.  They aren't going to support any more software
than they "have" to.  According to some people at the hotline, they have
to support the hardware for the (now manufacture discontinued) 3B1 for
5 years.  There is *no* such stipulation for software though.

|>Does anybody know about the status of HDB now that it has been
|>withdrawn from the STORE?

I heard some *rumor* (I'm not sure what is true or not) that Susan M. Woodbury
(aka: THE STORE!keeper) has been working on keeping THE STORE alive.  Possibly
a new release to the catalog in the future, and the removal of HDB from the
Private AT&T only sections of THE STORE.  One does wonder what is hidden in
departments like the DPTG-only one... :-)

-Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny at icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \