info about gdb diffs

Bob Rose rrr at naucse.UUCP
Sat Aug 13 05:12:05 AEST 1988

Hello, me again. I've already had several questions about gdb
so let me try to answer them all here.

WHAT IS GDB.
Gdb is the Gnu _source_ level debugger. It makes most debuggers look
like toys, including sdb and dbx. It is very easy to use and very
powerful.

HOW DO YOU USE GDB.
Just like you would use sdb. Compile the source with the -g option
and then do `gdb a.out.' Currently gcc does _NOT_ put out symbol
table info so you cannot use it. You must use cc.

WHERE DO I GET GDB.
Sorry I can't help you. Most of these thing are gotten by ftp, I just
downloaded it from work. If anybody can spread more light on this,
please do so. It looks like the source is about 1meg so I'm not
gonna post it unless I here from some higher god.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFS FOR.
The diffs are for gdb version 2.5. They are rather large so I suggest
you get a patch program (patch by larry wall, see above where to get patch.)
I took gdb straight out of emacs version 18.50. I believe the same version
of gdb is in other versions of emacs including 18.51. If have another
version of gdb, try the diffs, you got nothing to lose!

Hopefully I didn't forget anything but email if you any more questions.
                              -bob