Anybody know alternatives to the AT&T 510D terminal?

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Tue Aug 2 10:51:18 AEST 1988

Hi everybody,

     AT&T has recently discontinued their 510D terminal (official
name is "AT&T Personal Terminal Model 510D-R2"), and a customer
is frantic.  AT&T has given no clue regarding what/when a
replacement will be available, and my customer needs to find an
alternative quickly.  These are digital voice/data terminals that
talk to a System 75 phone switch and (through an RS-232 adaptor
on the switch) a 3B2/600 running SVR3.  The customer plans on
using many of these in future buildings, and changing phone
systems to accomodate these terminals is very much open for
discussion.

     These units must have a phone that knows about the switch, a
standard terminal function (24x80, ANSI is preferable but not
necessary) probably through the switch, function keys, does *not*
need a touch screen, built-in phone directory, and must have a
DIAL-IT capability (see below).

     DIAL-IT on the 510 is a key that will dial the phone number
that appears on the screen under the cursor.  We wrote a little
rolodex program (running on the 3B2) that displays the phone
number at a specific place, and the user can DIAL-IT and this
number is dialed (we can activate this feature with an escape
string as well).  This is a critical feature for the proposed
terminal.

     Please respond via email and I'll pass relevant calls onto
the customer; this is a very serious buyer with intentions on
many units.  Phone calls for more details are welcome, and
shameless sales pitches from vendors, even (shudder) IBM/Rolm,
are encouraged.

     Thanks,
     Steve

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl