gdb on 3b1 up and running

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uucp
Fri Aug 12 13:40:06 AEST 1988

In article <5171 at killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, loci at killer.DALLAS.TX.US (loci!clb) said:
> 	Also, since the gnu stuff always makes the stats for
> 	least popular groups, are you sure anyone cares?

The gnu groups are in a separate toplevel name grouping: gnu.gcc,
gnu.emacs, gnu.g++ (C++) and so forth.  That means they don't
propogate across most groups where people only list the Magnificant
Seven groups (comp, news, misc, sci, rec, soc, talk) and sometimes
alt.  Lastly, the groups tend to carry rather technical things like
pathes to the compiler and so forth, which practically by definition
isn't of general interest.

> 	Assuming that people do care (about gnu), please tell me why.
> 	I'm curious to know what attracts users to it.

Well, GNU C generates significantly better code than PCC.  And if
you're so inclined, you've got source and can add peephole
optimizations or other improvements.  And you can use it as a cross
compiler (ever look at prices for commercial cross compilers?).  It is
a truly ANSI C, whereas PCC isn't even close.  This last point is most
telling for some people.  And the GNU people have C++ running, which
just isn't available yet on most machines.

And finally, you generally get better support from the GNU people *iff*
you can send in reasonable bug reports.  I've never even seriously
considered tracking down who in AT&T to report PCC bugs to.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746