gdb on 3b1 up and running

a.b.sherman andys at genesis.ATT.COM
Sun Aug 14 13:44:28 AEST 1988

In article <5918 at bigtex.uucp> james at bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

>And finally, you generally get better support from the GNU people *iff*
>you can send in reasonable bug reports.  I've never even seriously
>considered tracking down who in AT&T to report PCC bugs to.

Compiler bugs (and other bugs in the UNIX(R) Operating System) may
be reported to a hotline number.  (I'm at home and don't have the
number handy).  Note that you are only entitled to hotline support
if you are not the registered owner of an appropriate software
license.  Like Stallman, we support our software.  From the traffic
I've seen on the net, folks who have actually *bothered* to call for
support (rather than just complain about how bad it is) have
received fairly prompt attention.

Unlike Stallman, we do not believe that it is evil to charge money
for the fruits of our R&D.  The money that pays my salary comes from
stockholders.  They have a right to expect that the company will
recover their investment in product development by *selling*
products at a *profit*.  (Oh horrors, profit.  What next, vivisection?)

AT&T R&D used to be given away for free, (as in the transistor, the
laser, etc.) but divestiture changed all that.
--
(By the way, UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.  Telling you
that keeps the lawyers happy :-) )